Dr Karmen Wong
MBBS (Adelaide), MRCP (UK), FRCP (Glasgow), MMed (Int Med), FAM (Singapore)
“I want to help my patients make a treatment decision that is truly their own with the best outcome.”
Dr Karmen Wong is regarded as one of Asia’s foremost Medical Oncologists with more than 20 years of clinical practice. She received her oncology training in the National University Hospital (NUH), National Cancer Centre, Singapore (NCC) and University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), a leading university in health sciences research and patient care under the HMDP scholarship.
She pioneered the first multi-disciplinary breast cancer treatment in Singapore 20 years ago in NCC, which established a platform for treatment in other cancer types with doctors of different disciplines. Dr Wong also initiated the bone marrow transplant programme in solid tumour in Singapore General Hospital (SGH) in 1997. She won the best oral presentation in the 9th Annual Scientific Meeting in SGH in 1988.
Dr Wong presented the 1st Asian study in attitudes towards breast cancer treatment among Asian patients in the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology in 1999. She has also written numerous peer review articles and published chapters in textbooks.
Her sub-specialties are treatments in breast, gastro-intestinal and gynaecological cancers.
- Member of the Royal College of Physician (UK) 1990
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physician (Glasgow) 2008
- Granted the status of Fellow to the Academy of Medicine in Singapore in 1994.
- Certified with the Singapore Medical Council, the Medical Board of South Australia, the Medical Board of Victoria (Australia), General Medical Council of UK and the Hong Kong Medical Council.
- Member of the American Society of Medical Oncology, the Singapore Oncology Society.
- Specialist accreditation in Medical Oncology with the Singapore Ministry of Health
- Member of the International Breast Cancer Study Group.
- Committee member of Breast Cancer Foundation, Singapore.
Cancer Interest: Gynaecological
Sub-specialty: Gastro-intestinal Cancers